Feeling lonely is a part of life. So how do I stop feeling lonely? Feeling like you’re not enough or that no one cares about you can be hard to overcome, but it’s important to remember that feeling lonely isn’t the end of the world.
Alone doesn’t always mean lonely; there are methods to alleviate isolation. Feeling lonely is a common experience for almost everyone.
Feeling lonely, detached, and alienated from others might be tough to cope with. But if you know what to do about it, feeling lonely doesn’t have to bring you down. Feeling Lonely isn’t something anyone likes dealing with but it’s how we learn about ourselves in the process that counts the most.
Why Do We Feel Lonely?
We are lonely because we do not know how to stop feeling alienated… We feel lonely when we think a loved one or family member doesn’t like us, or when we look at our friends and see them spending time with someone else instead of us. It’s natural to feel lonely at some time in your life, but it’s up to you to deal with that loneliness in a healthy way while working through these negative feelings.
Why We Need to Embrace Feeling Lonely…
The important thing to remember is that feeling lonely isn’t a bad thing. Feeling lonely is our inner self reaching out to us. You might think that it’s a sign of weakness because you’re the only one who feels lonely, but it’s not. It’s a sign that you’re a normal human being and those feelings are what makes you feel alive.
When we embrace those self-created feelings of loneliness, we realize how much we enjoy our own company and begin to appreciate all the time we spend by ourselves. Aloneness doesn’t have to be a bad thing, it can actually be something that brings us true happiness and satisfaction in life as we build a meaningful connection with ourselves.
How Do I Stop Feeling Lonely?
In order to stop feeling lonely, you need to embrace aloneness. Aloneness is a good thing. Feeling lonely helps us get in touch with our authentic selves without others around us because when nobody else is there for us it’s up to us to make ourselves happy. Feeling lonely is the best way to find happiness within yourself.
The best way to go about doing that is by focusing on you, not anyone else! Think of what makes you happy and do it! By focusing on yourself you’ll feel better because instead of thinking about the people in your life you’ll soon begin thinking about yourself, and how to better yourself.
You’ll stop being so focused on what everyone else is doing and realize that it’s not so important once you take a step back from it all. Being lonely isn’t cool at all but when you focus on yourself, everything starts to feel a little better.
Why Do We Feel Alone in a Relationship?
This is a sign you cannot be yourself within the relationship, many who are surrounded by others can feel lonely. If you are in a relationship, you should have someone there to listen to your thoughts and feelings.
When that person cannot accept who you are, many times we try to please them and it takes us further away from who we are, creating feelings of loneliness.
This doesn’t mean all relationships are destined for failure. It’s about whether you can be yourself around this individual or group of people. Many times we feel like we have to sugarcoat the truth to please those around us.
When you are constantly feeling like you have to fake it to be accepted then it will trigger negative emotions and feelings of loneliness. This is also normal in these situations so create awareness around how you are feeling.
What Can I Do To Stop Feeling Loneliness?
Being alone sometimes can be used as a tool to help improve some aspects of your life.
Here are 10 ways in which you can embrace being alone.
1. Develop your Social Skills – Being around people is always good for anyone, but spending too much time with the same person or having too much social interaction every day often leads to feeling tired and burnt out. Give yourself some breaks from time to time so that you get to spend more time developing your social skills.
2. Pursue Your Passions – Alone time is the perfect opportunity to pursue some of your biggest passions. What are you passionate about? Music, dance, cooking, sports, art…? Channeling your energy into something that you are really passionate about can have a big impact on your life.
3. Unplug – Stop obsessing over your phone, social media, and technology. Spending too much time glued to your laptop or smart gadgets isn’t good for you in the long run. Unplug once in a while to allow yourself some much-needed downtime.
4. Volunteer – Giving back to the community is one of the best ways to put your life into perspective and gain some clarity. Volunteering is a great way to meet like-minded people, build self-esteem, and learn skills that can help you land your next job, promotion, or a new friend.
5. Practice Mindfulness – Learning how to be mindful of the present moment will allow you to find inner peace. Stop worrying about what may happen in the future and enjoy what is happening right now.
6. Get Plenty of Sleep – Your mental and physical health depends on how much sleep you get at night. Make sure to allow enough time for a good night’s sleep so that you can function each day.
7. Read More – Reading doesn’t require social interaction, but it does help expand your mind and encourage self-expression. It also exercises the imagination, allowing you to enter into other worlds, which can prove to be quite therapeutic.
8. Clean Up – Being alone does not mean that you are free to live in a mess. Make sure your living space is clean by setting up a schedule for yourself to keep it tidy at all times.
9. Spend Time with Friends and Family – Spend time with those who make you feel good about yourself. Being around positive people will leave you feeling happier and more motivated to succeed.
10. Find a Hobby (or Two) – Everyone needs some form of distraction from time to time, but finding something that can become your hobby is great for the mind and spirit. Solitaire, writing, painting, photography… whatever floats your boat!
Feeling Lonely and Empty is an Awakening…
Take it to the Next Level
This is what I have discovered along my journey during times of feeling lonely. I found solitude in silence, I discovered aloneness and silence are related. When one wants to experience silence they need to be alone.
Life on Earth is a school of lessons, a path to expansion, and to graduate, we must see this experience for what it is. Here is what feeling lonely taught me, we are born alone.
We die alone. Between these two events, we create millions of illusions of being together – all kinds of relationships, friends, enemies, love, hate, nations, races, religions, and on and on.
We create all kinds of illusions just to avoid one fact: that we are alone. But it cannot be changed. The truth is that it’s so, we are alone. Rather than trying to escape from the truth, the best way is to rejoice in this truth.
I found this in meditation. It took me some time to get to this level of acceptance in my practice in realizing deep down we are always living alone making feeling lonely as natural as it gets, alone is the very nature of our soul. Embrace this aloneness, and experience the nature of your being.
Feeling lonely and empty is something that we all experience at some point in our lives. However, it’s important to remember that there are ways to deal with these feelings and find peace within ourselves. If you’re feeling lonely and would like to learn more about how to deal with these feelings, I invite you to join my self-mastery program.